“Gay marriage” – Fiercely opposed by the Catholic Church while promoted by the zeitgeist, but why? The Church’s opposition of homosexual marriage has roots in one of the marital requirements of heterosexual couples, which, in turn, applies to homosexual couples as well, namely, the ability of the wedded couple to engage in vaginal intercourse.
“1. Antecedent and perpetual impotence to have intercourse, whether on the part of the man or the woman, whether absolute or relative, nullifies marriage by its very nature.”
– Code of Canon Law, Section 1084
Therefore, as homosexual couples are unable to engage in vaginal intercourse, they cannot have a valid natural or sacramental marriage according to the Catholic Church.
This now begs the question as to why the ability to engage in sexual acts other than vaginal intercourse can not serve to validify a marital union, whether it be heterosexual or homosexual. This is because sexual acts do not become morally permissible solely because they occur within a marriage.
“The deliberate use of the sexual faculty outside normal conjugal relations essentially contradicts the finality of the faculty. For it lacks the sexual relationship called for by the moral order, namely the relationship which realizes “the full sense of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love.”
– Persona Humana (9), Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (The Roman Curia)
In summary, sexual acts must result in vaginal intercourse within a marital union for the acts to be morally permissible. So, as immoral actions cannot serve to validify a marriage, sexual acts that do not lead to vaginal intercourse cannot validify a marriage.
- Impotence after a marital union has taken place does not nullify the union.
- A married couple which refrains from sexual activity is validly married. (Code of Canon Law 1084, 1142)
- Sterility does not nullify a marriage. (Code of Canon Law 1084, §3)
- For an explanation of why the Church hold’s the doctrines, read the post titled “The Benign Intentions of an Ignorant an Fanatical Society.”
Sorry for my lack of posting new articles, school’s kept me busy.